Senior Level Designer
Imagendary Studios is seeking an experienced and talented Senior Level Designer to join our core team developing high quality AAA games in Unreal Engine 5. You will be responsible for the development of memorable gameplay experiences and the design of inspiring worlds for an upcoming narrative-driven 3rd person action-adventure title. The ideal candidate should be proven in creating player-facing experiences through level design, mission design, and collaborating on cross-disciplinary content in game worlds.
- Develop, implement, and modify narrative beats for level design concepts and story driven narrative moments to celebrate the gameplay and mechanics for a new IP, both at a high level (on paper) and in software (game tools).
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership to develop all aspects of the project’s single player level content from concept to ship, including 2D maps, mission outlines, 3D level blockouts, test gyms, test levels, level design kits, kit bashing and other level building methodologies as they relate to game design and world building.
- Strong cross disciplinary skills relating to art and engineering. Must be able to work with environment art to establish best practices when building environments for levels as well as work with engineering for design features needed in scripting/code.
- Familiar with various console and PC RPG elements, level design and world building methodologies in popular 3rd person console titles and can speak to implementation of those both in and out of software.
- Work closely with engineering, design, and production disciplines to prototype and implement level / world design tools and block geo.
- Understand, utilize, and follow best practices when building software with other team members. You hold world building metrics and scripting standards with high regard and champion them amongst the team.
- Utilize user testing, metrics, player feedback, team feedback, and a multitude of other diverse analytics to improve, iterate and refine the player experience throughout the development of the product.
- Contribute to the growth of a startup studio.
- Experience as a Level Designer on more than one shipped title.
- You have shipped at least one AAA game as a primary contributor or owner for more than one level regarding level design as it relates to 3rd person action adventure games.
- You must be able to build levels starting from clear paper designs all the way to bug fixing and ship.
- You easily understand and can demonstrate the value of each step in the level design process along with validating those experiences utilizing thorough User Research and Playtesting.
- Strong logic and visual scripting skills (g. Blueprint) and are comfortable working directly with engineering support staff and other technical designers.
- Excellent visual and artistic layout skills regarding level geometry and level biomes. You can easily marry scale and metrics with beautiful but functional level design.
- Prefer working hands-on with prototype levels to prove that the game mechanics are fun and exciting for players.
- Can easily receive and provide constructive criticism both up and down the chain of command.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; willing to speak to all team members regarding the vision and direction for level design.
- Highly self-motivated and driven by the player experience; you are willing to take the initiative to make the best player experience possible.
- Unreal Engine tools or similar experience.
- You have led, managed, or mentored other designers in a small team atmosphere.
- Both text based and node based scripting experience.
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent field.
- A well thought out portfolio of your work.
- Love for all things Sci Fi
Some of our Benefits:
- 100% Paid Medical/ Dental/Vision Coverage for yourself and your family
- Remote Work
- Annual Performance Bonus
- 401k Matching
- 4 weeks vacation per year
- 80 hours of sick time per year
- 12 paid company holidays per year
- 2 floating holidays per year
- Add’l paid time off such as generous parental leave, jury duty, bereavement leave, etc.
This job has a base hiring range $120,000 USD – $160,000 USD in California, where our HQ is located. If you live in the US outside of California or in Canada, please speak with one of our recruiters directly for hiring range information which can differ based on market location.
Imagendary Studios launched in 2021 with the vision to develop the next generation of IP, story, and world building for AAA games and cinematic animations. We are committed to building a global community that embraces collaboration, creativity, and delivering the highest quality work. At Imagendary we believe that by building a global community that embraces diversity, authenticity, and inclusivity we will succeed in delivering the most unique and extraordinary entertainment experience to players and audiences across the world.