Senior Gameplay Engineer, Unreal Engine 5
Imagendary Studios has an opening for a Senior Gameplay Engineer to join our Game Team, building game systems with the goal of providing unrivaled player experience. The ideal candidate has prior experience in a similar role on at least one previously released AAA game in the action adventure space. You have the enthusiasm of a true game lover and thrive when collaborating within a small but exceptional team of designers, engineers and animators.
- Build out core 3rd person shooting and traversal mechanics in both a visual scripting environment as well as a C++ code environment.
- Work directly with design and engineering leadership to plan, construct, improve, iterate, document and support all combat related systems from paper to ship.
- Have experience with some or all of the following 3rd Person game features from both a code and design perspective: camera, controls, weapons, character locomotion, and enemies.
- Comfortable working in an established code base inside a large engine like Unreal.
- Ability to Implement, debug and optimize major gameplay systems in a C++ environment.
- Able to help fellow engineers and designers to build software that is extensible, modular, and easily readable by any fellow team member.
- Help build debug tools and features to support in game debugging of combat related systems for fellow developers.
- Experience with code and game optimization for all phases of development, especially during the prototype phase where agility and rapid iteration are key.
- Understand current input and control schemes for various games and their implementation from a tools and user perspective.
- Provide mentorship to less experienced engineers, collaborate with leads and thrive in a prototype environment to “prove the fun” on screen.
- 3+ years of experience in a Gameplay Engineering role or similar position
- Have shipped at least 1 AAA title
- You are proficient in C/C++
- You have worked with Designers in a visual scripting language in a prototype capacity, and understand the value of it for rapid iteration.
- Capacity to deliver clean and maintainable code, but also the ability to balance short term goals with long term planning (utilizing quick shortcuts for iteration purposes and onscreen results).
- Comfortable with Animation and Animation related code challenges; can help debug and optimize where needed
- Have experience building player state machines that are easily accessible, highly functional and visually cohesive in order to allow other departments to implement and maintain its functionality.
- Familiarity with Unreal Blueprints and its relationship with the underlying code base in Unreal.
- Willing to assist the design team to utilize visual scripting and design authoring patterns that adhere to best practices.
- Can provide immediate iteration and feedback to fellow developers to make onscreen results come to life.
- Optimization and debugging skills are of great importance to you.
- Strong linear algebra and 3D geometry skills.
- Basic understanding of Game Design Theory and the roadmap of success through onscreen iteration.
- Fluent in cross collaboration with other departments, including fellow engineers and non-technical team members.
- Can easily adapt to a fluid, changing environment as creative challenges arise.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent degree
- You are equal parts DIY and Team player.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 5, or equivalent.
- A passion for making great games at a high quality bar.
- Advanced programming specialty in any game development area, including engine infrastructure, pipeline and deployment.
- Any level of knowledge or passion for the following: AI, User Interfaces, Animation, or Enemy Design
- Love for all things Sci-Fi
Some of our Benefits:
- 100% Paid Medical/ Dental/Vision Coverage for yourself and your family
- Fully Remote Work
- Annual Performance Bonus
- 401k Matching
- 4 weeks vacation per year
- 80 hours of sick time per year
- 12 paid company holidays per year
- 2 floating holidays per year
- Additional paid time off such as generous parental leave, jury duty, bereavement leave, etc.
This job has a base hiring range $135,000 USD – $190,000 USD in California, where our HQ is located. If you live in the US outside of California or in Canada, please speak with one of our recruiters directly for hiring range information which can differ based on market location.
Imagendary Studios launched in 2021 with the vision to develop the next generation of IP, story, and world building for AAA games and cinematic animations. We are committed to building a global community that embraces collaboration, creativity, and delivering the highest quality work. At Imagendary we believe that by building a global community that embraces diversity, authenticity, and inclusivity we will succeed in delivering the most unique and extraordinary entertainment experience to players and audiences across the world.