Senior Enemy Designer
Imagendary Studios is searching for a highly motivated and talented Senior Enemy Designer to join our Game Team, providing game design expertise for an early-stage incubation project. As a Senior Enemy Designer, you will be driving enemy design through all phases of development, collaborating with artists, engineers, and designers to create memorable gameplay experiences for all skill levels in UE5.
- Design, build, prototype and bug fix enemies for a AAA 3rd person shooter / action-adventure title from concept to ship
- Build enemy behaviors and attack patterns utilizing existing in engine scripts and code as well as help build custom AI that augment and support a single player experience while challenging the player at every level of the game.
- Work with fellow designers to balance enemy difficulty as the player progresses through the entirety of the game.
- Collaborate with internal teams, including Design, Animation, engineering and sound, to deliver compelling enemies both big and small relative to the player experience
- Serve as an expert in the areas of enemy design regarding AI behaviors, behavior trees, behavior commands, weapon and ability pairings,, health and damage, enemy attack theory, and boss encounters.
- Familiarity with player centric design theory for ranged combat and what challenges the player in a 3rd person context for shooting.
- Help define boss behaviors and their attack patterns that reinforce player challenges.
- Work directly with AI engineers to define new behaviors and tools needed to make cutting edge AI for fun and engaging enemies.
- Prototype AI behaviors and enemies in engine to get things on screen quickly to prove the fun.
- Clearly and Concisely document enemy designs and features for the entire team.
- Work with production to clearly scope the breadth and depth of enemy designs for the entire game and what is needed for a full production cycle regarding time.
- Can adapt to production schedule changes easily and tailor designs to fit without losing the fun.
- Contribute to the growth of a startup studio.
- 4+ years of professional experience as a game designer for console games.
- Scripting or programming experience in Blueprint or other similar industry tools.
- Have shipped 2 AAA titles as an enemy designer for a 3rd person shooter.
- Deep experience with analyzing current 3rd person shooters on the market and can speak to specific examples of best in class enemy design.
- Experienced with workflow and best practices in Unreal Engine.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Love for all things SciFi.
- AI programming
Imagendary Studios was launched in January 2021 with a vision to be the IP development of stories and world building for the next generation AAA games and cinematic animations. Imagendary has 150+ team members with two locations in Irvine California and Shanghai China. We are committed to building a global community that embraces diversity, authenticity and creativity. We provide generous benefits and perks with an eye on balancing true work and life. It is our goal to shape and build a strong collaborative and creative environment, an inclusive and diverse workplace culture, and professional growth training opportunities. Our people are everything and our goal is clear. We strive to deliver the most unique and extraordinary entertainment experience to players and audiences across the world. Join us!