Senior Combat Systems Designer
Imagendary Studios is seeking an experienced and talented Senior Combat Systems Designer to join our core team developing high quality AAA games. You will be responsible for the development of combat and gameplay mechanics for Imagendary projects. The ideal candidate should have proven experience in game design; applying their analytical and technical skills to create fun and engaging gameplay in software.
• Develop player combat mechanics, weapons, skills, and abilities for a 3rd person action shooter, both at a high level (on paper) and in software (game tools).
• Work collaboratively with senior leadership to develop all aspects of the vision for gameplay, from concept to ship.
• Comfortable with and understand enemy AI, enemy behaviors, and enemy scripting to prove out what makes the best combat experience on screen.
• Can work with and speak to all aspects of 3rd person camera design as it relates to both traversal and shooting mechanics.
•Familiar with various console and PC control input schemes and can speak to implementation of those both in and out of software as it relates to combat.
• Work closely with animation, engineering, and technical art disciplines to prototype and implement core combat and traversal features.
• Own, manage, and deliver all design work in software and on paper through a full development cycle from concept to ship.
• Understand, utilize, and follow best practices when building software with other team members. You hold scripting standards with high regard and champion them amongst the team.
• Utilize user testing, metrics, player feedback, team feedback, and a multitude of other diverse analytics to improve, iterate and refine the player experience throughout the lifetime of the product.
• Can work easily in a fast-paced environment to rapidly build combat prototypes to prove out game play and game play theory.
• Contribute to the growth of a startup studio.
• You have 3rd person shooter experience as a Combat Designer or Systems Designer on more than one title.
• You have shipped at least one AAA game as a primary contributor or owner regarding player combat (shooting) and abilities (traversal).
• You have strong logic and visual scripting skills (aka Blueprint) and are comfortable working directly with engineering support staff and other technical designers.
• You have great working knowledge regarding animation and animation-related systems that include state machines, state transitions, linked animations, and animation blending.
• You live and breathe 3rd person combat mechanics and consistently play a wide variety of different console titles. You can easily understand and break these titles down to their design elements for a deep understanding of what makes them fun.
• You prefer working hands-on with prototypes to prove that the “game feel” is fun and exciting for players.
• Can easily receive and provide constructive criticism both up and down the chain of command.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; willing to speak to all team members regarding the vision and direction for combat.
• Highly self-motivated and driven by the player experience; you are willing take the initiative to make the best player experience possible.
• You have Unreal Engine tools or similar experience.
• You have led, managed, or mentored other designers in a small team atmosphere.
• You have 3rd person motion matching experience as it relates to bipedal character movement
• Love for all things Sci Fi
Some of our Benefits:
• 100% Paid Medical/ Dental/Vision Coverage for yourself and your family
• Remote Work
• Annual Performance Bonus
• 401k Matching
• 4 weeks vacation per year
• 80 hours of sick time per year
• 12 paid company holidays per year
• 2 floating holidays per year
• Additional paid time off such as generous parental leave, jury duty, bereavement leave, etc.
This job has a base hiring range $110,000 USD – $160,000 USD in California, where our HQ is located. If you live in the US outside of California or in Canada, please speak with one of our recruiters directly for hiring range information which can differ based on market location.
Imagendary Studios launched in 2021 with the vision to develop the next generation of IP, story, and world building for AAA games and cinematic animations. We are committed to building a global community that embraces collaboration, creativity, and delivering the highest quality work. At Imagendary we believe that by building a global community that embraces diversity, authenticity, and inclusivity we will succeed in delivering the most unique and extraordinary entertainment experience to players and audiences across the world. Join us!