Senior Combat Systems Designer
Imagendary Studios is seeking an experienced and talented Senior Combat Systems Designer to join our core team developing high quality AAA games. You will be responsible for the development of combat and gameplay mechanics for Imagendary projects. The ideal candidate should have proven experience in game design; applying their analytical and technical skills to create fun and engaging gameplay in software.
- Develop player combat mechanics, weapons, skills, and abilities for a 3rd person action shooter, both at a high level (on paper) and in software (game tools).
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership to develop all aspects of the vision for gameplay, from concept to ship.
- Comfortable with and understand enemy AI, enemy behaviors, and enemy scripting to
prove out what makes the best combat experience on screen.
- Can work with and speak to all aspects of 3rd person camera design as it relates to both
traversal and shooting mechanics.
- Familiar with various console and PC control input schemes and can speak to implementation of those both in and out of software as it relates to combat.
- Work closely with animation, engineering, and technical art disciplines to prototype and implement core combat and traversal features.
- Own, manage, and deliver all design work in software and on paper through a full development cycle from concept to ship.
- Understand, utilize, and follow best practices when building software with other team
members. You hold scripting standards with high regard and champion them amongst the team.
- Utilize user testing, metrics, player feedback, team feedback, and a multitude of other
diverse analytics to improve, iterate and refine the player experience throughout the
lifetime of the product.
- Can work easily in a fast-paced environment to rapidly build combat prototypes to prove
out game play and game play theory.
- Contribute to the growth of a startup studio.
- You have 3rd person shooter experience as a Combat Designer or Systems Designer on
more than one title.
- You have shipped at least one AAA game as a primary contributor or owner regarding
player combat (shooting) and abilities (traversal).
- You have strong logic and visual scripting skills (aka Blueprint) and are comfortable
working directly with engineering support staff and other technical designers.
- You have great working knowledge regarding animation and animation-related systems that include state machines, state transitions, linked animations, and animation blending.
- You live and breathe 3rd person combat mechanics and consistently play a wide variety of different console titles. You can easily understand and break these titles down to their design elements for a deep understanding of what makes them fun.
- You prefer working hands-on with prototypes to prove that the “game feel” is fun and exciting for players.
- Can easily receive and provide constructive criticism both up and down the chain of command.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; willing to speak to all team members regarding the vision and direction for combat.
- Highly self-motivated and driven by the player experience; you are willing take the initiative to make the best player experience possible.
- You have Unreal Engine tools or similar experience.
- You have led, managed, or mentored other designers in a small team atmosphere.
- You have 3rd person motion matching experience as it relates to bipedal character movement.
- Love for all things Sci Fi
Imagendary Studios was launched in January 2021 with a vision to be the IP development of
stories and world building for the next generation AAA games and cinematic animations. Imagendary has 50+ team members with two locations in Irvine California and Shanghai China. We are committed to building a global community that embraces diversity, authenticity and creativity. We provide generous benefits and perks with an eye on balancing true work and life. It is our goal to shape and build a strong collaborative and creative environment, an inclusive and diverse workplace culture, and professional growth training opportunities. Our people are everything and our goal is clear. We strive to deliver the most unique and extraordinary entertainment experience to players and audiences across the world. Join us!